Chinitna Bay Bear Viewing
Things to remember
Check in: Please check in at our Lake Hood Office 30 minutes prior to departure. For safety of weight and balance of the plane, we will need accurate weights of individuals or of the entire group.
Parking: There is free, although limited parking at the Rust Office. You will need to leave your car keys with the office. Rust’s also picks up from major hotels. You are welcome to leave baggage at the Rust office at no additional charge.
What to bring: Sunglasses, bug spray, camera and binoculars. Dress comfortably and in layers; Alaska weather can change dramatically. A sunny and warm day in Anchorage can turn windy, rainy, and cool in the National Park. Please bring prescription medications.
Other information: Lake Clark National Park is in a remote area accessible only by plane so many of the common expectations of “civilization” are not available. You should bring essential medications with you and not plan plane connections on the same day of this trip. Additionally, if visiting Lake Clark is extremely important to you, please allow time in your schedule for possible rescheduling of this trip. Rust's flies through remote, mountainous terrain and this trip does sometimes cancel due to weather.
$795 plus a 3% transportation fee per person - Tour times are approximately 6 hours. Flight times may vary. Morning departure: 7:30 am; returns 1:30 pm. Afternoon departure: 2:00 pm; returns 8:00 pm.
Depart from Lake Hood Sea Plane Harbor in Anchorage and fly southwest over Cook Inlet. Watch for the Chigmit Mountains, where Alaska and Aleutian Ranges meet, and two active volcanoes – Mt. Redoubt and Mt. Iliamna – before landing on the beach in Chinitna Bay in Lake Clark National Park.
Chinitna Bay Bear Viewing experience:
- Intimate, 90 minute scenic flight from Anchorage
- Up-close guided bear viewing in Lake Clark National Park
- Travel by 4wd vehicle and on foot to where the bears are most active
- Observe brown bears digging for clams and frolicking on the beach
Your Chinitna Bay Bear Viewing tour includes:
- A window seat and 2-way headset
- Detailed knowledge (and personality) of an Alaska bush pilot
- Rust’s meticulous attention to comfort and safety
- Bear Viewing experience lead by a naturalist guide
- Deli Lunch Summertime courtesy shuttle to and from the Anchorage airport and many Anchorage hotels